Re: Behavior of "exit"

> 3: Save all changes in a special area, then exit. On a restart
>    ask whether user wants to continue working with his last
>    state or discard all unsaved work.
>    (Note the quick safe should not overwrite the current file,
>     so that discarding is still possible)
>
> Yess.
>
>2 is really just there because most programmers are to lazy
>to implement 3.
>3 follows the concept that the computer does what I tell him to do
>(I said exit, not ask me questions) but recovers from any stupid
>commands.
>
>I really would like us go with 3.
>How much extra work would this imply ?
>Are there important applications which can not work this way ?

I prefer an interface where users are given a two-column "add all" "remove
all" "<<"  ">>" containing their documents.  The problem with the above is
that it heavily encourages users to not save.

What's funny is, as a user, I LOVE not saving in Microsoft Word.  I love
that if the app crashes, or I need to turn my system off, AutoSave will have
triggered every n minutes(1 for me) and I won't lose much if any work.

Autosaving, then, becomes a GC3(note:  G3 is bad, that's a mac).  Only
problem, and it's a big one, is that it's a HOG on disk space--you need two
copies of everything.  This could be quite a problem when the user has a
50MB wave file open...

So I like your system, basically, but I worry about how it'd be used.

(BTW, more proof that Exit is an I/O command)