setting widget colours

Hello all,

in my app, I've tried to set the background colours for the main window.
Unfortunately, only the window displays in said color: a lime green window
but lists, buttons, optionmenus, etc still retain the grey default. How do I
make subsequent widgets inherit its parent's colour?
Which brings me to another point? I've been trying to set my colours to
a dark grey colour, but all I can get is a sickly green, no matter how
what strength of RGB I use:

color[0].red = x.x
color[0].green = x.x
color[0].blue = x.x