Re: RSG, draft three

Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> So do we refuse to certify Kai Power Tools if it ever gets ported?
> Actually, we should generate a set of exception clauses, not "we can make
> exceptions if we feel like it".

No.  What we would do is implement the GNOME styles in parallel
to the existing ones, so that KPT would have a fully-compliant
set of menus, etc.  And then allow the user to turn this off,
perhaps with a "GNOME mode"/"KPT mode" option.  This should
satisfy everyone.

> >> C2 - Dialog and other buttons in windows other than the main window
> should
> >> tend to be found at the bottom. for example, a dialog with only a single
> >> button to close the window should have that button at the very bottom.
> >
> >Left justified? Right justified? Centered? Where is it?
>
> Yes, we must be anal about this stuff.

I don't agree.  It's enough to say that you need access to the
About box, either by menu or by button.  I don't think we should
mandate this right here.

However, if we do put forth some _general_ guidelines on where to
put buttons for any/all dialogs, that's a different story.  For
example, Microsoft is having sort of an identity crisis with the
placement of their OK/Cancel buttons.  Depending on which version
of which development suite you use, these standard buttons are
variously at the bottom center, at the lower right corner, and at
the upper right corner.  Hmmmmm.

I agree that we should provide some guidelines on where to put
standard buttons.

John