Re: apply ?

Tom Vogt wrote:
[...]
> about the "apply" button...
>
> I believe that beast is a very bad idea. I agree with the interface hall of
> shame there and would propose the following changes:
>
> OK      -       does what we expect: make changes and exit window
>
> Cancel  -       should cancel ALL changes done since the window was opened
>
> Preview -       apply changes, but changes will be undone by hitting cancel

I agree this is a more consistent approach and is
in sync with a likely usage pattern.  I was confused
myself when I first tried this in Windows actually
(after reading about the thing in the hall o' shame)

However, because many things can't be "changed back",
e.g. you can't guarantee there is a way to restore the
previous root window bg if not set from within the GNOME
environment (there are other examples), IIRC an alternative
kind of dilaog has been envisioned on this list,
something along the lines of apply-revert-close, where
revert is only available if it can be guaranteed.
(before changes have been made, applay and revert
are available but greyed out)  I'm sure it has been
fleshed out in more detail - I just don't remember.

I think both ways solve the inconsistency in the
'95 box.

Regards,
kai