Re: Experimental Suggestion: Collaborative UI?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Saturday, August 01, 1998 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: Experimental Suggestion: Collaborative UI?

>Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>> Now, this belongs straight in the experimental category, but the idea of
>> multi-user UI is not altogether unattractive.  VNC already allows one to
>> broadcast one session to as many viewers as need be, which is *wonderful*
>> for training, and there are already standards for document sharing and
voice
>> communication.
>>
>> This could be a Good Thing for Linux and GNOME to do, in the long term.
>
>is this really a gnome thing? strikes as being more in the area of X
itself.

I define X as a non-interface.  I define GNOME as a fully developed
graphical user interface extensible enough for other applications("window
managers") to redefine some or all of the visual experience while retaining
as much or as little original functionality as they desire.

If the clock applet can be called a core gnome app, surely functionality
that would network a single application among numerous parties could also be
made into core gnome functionality.

Definite C5 :-)