Re: nitpicking usefulness of a detached menu bar...

It wouldn't be shot down (most likely :) but override redirect (the
only way of positively removing the border on *all* wm's) has been killed
because you want the wm to have some control over it, for a lot of reasons
- search the archives of the gnome list for "Fix for toolbar" or something
like that to get a feel for all of them... What's been implemented are
motif window manager hints (I think,) that, if the window manager
recognises and behaves accordingly, will make the window borderless. This
is totally up to the wm though, so if your wm doesn't recognize the hints
(fvwm-95 doesn't I know - hey, no flames for my choice of wm's! :) then it
won't be borderless, and will be slow.. If you decide this really bites,
that you don't want to change wm's, and you don't mind having your tearoff
menus, etc, propogated to all your virtual desktops, you can just edit the
source to gtk to use GTK_WINDOW_POPUP - be warned, it's ugly...

--
Evan Lawrence