[Fwd: Regarding GNOME at Solutions Linux]

Bonjour,

Veuillez trouver ci-joint un mail de Malcolm Tredinnick, membre du
Board de la GNOME FOUNDATION, concernant la participation du projet
GNOME lors de la SOLUTIONS LINUX 2004 à Paris.

Bonne fin de journée à tous !

Cordialement

Gaël
--
Gaël CHAMOULAUD <strider gnome org>
http://www.gnomefr.org

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Gaël.

I was reading in you advogato diary about the preparation work you are
doing for the Solutions Linux expo next month. I hope it goes well for
you! I have a couple of questions (I am sort of wearing my GNOME board
member hat here -- at least the feedback will find its way back to the
board) about this.

One of the reasons I ran for the GNOME Foundation Board this year was to
try and encourage more GNOME participation at conferences around the
world. To date, I have pulled together a list of conferences that seem
reasonable with application dates, etc. Solutions Linux was on my list
as something we needed to at least look at for next year (I did not know
you were organising something for this year). The next step is to put
together information so that local groups can feel comfortable attending
these sorts of shows and conferences. So I am trying to get feedback
from people who have done this already to find out where they need more
support.

So, the questions:

(1) From reading the website, it looked like exhibition space was going
to cost some amount of Euros. Did you guys have to pay for this, or did
they have a nice (free?) deal for Open Source projects?

(2) Is this being coordinated through the gnomefr.org group, or is it
just you, or just you and a couple of friends, or...? (I guess I am
asking how organised various GNOME people are in your area of France. I
have browsed the archives of the gnome-fr mailing list, so I have some
idea, but local knowledge would be appreciated).

(3) After the conference is over, I would *really* appreciate it if
somebody could write up a summary of what happened, what went well, what
went badly, how much time you spent organising before-hand, etc. If a
group of you could do this and post it to the foundation mailing list,
it might help encourage other people in the future.

(4) If you would like to, please send me any other comments or ideas you
might have about how we (the GNOME Foundation) can make this easier for
people in the future.

Feel free to share this email with anybody else who may have something
to add (even post it to your mailing list if you think that is
appropriate). I really want to try to get this plan moving, but even
getting feedback on existing efforts is a little difficult.

Anyway, I hope Solutions Linux does go well for the GNOME team.
Thank-you for giving up the time to organise it.

Cheers,
Malcolm

P.S. I like the gnomefr.org website. Very informative (probably even
more so if I could read French a bit better, but I get the idea in any
case).

--- End Message ---