Re: [gnome-flashback] PANEL_APPLET_OUT_PROCESS_FACTORY

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:23 PM David McKelvie <dmck interactive co uk> wrote:

Hi;

Can anyone tell what happened to the PANEL_APPLET_OUT_PROCESS_FACTORY macro?

It was removed.

The documentation for 'Panel Applet library, version 3.26.0.' mentions this
macro in the section 'Out-of-Process vs In-Process' and in the example 'Hello
World applet'.

Documentation might have not been updated...

However /usr/include/gnome-panel/libpanel-applet/panel-applet.h
contains PANEL_APPLET_IN_PROCESS_FACTORY,
but not PANEL_APPLET_OUT_PROCESS_FACTORY.

This is on Ubuntu 18.04

This include file is coming from the libpanel-applet-dev package version
1:3.26.0-1.

If PANEL_APPLET_OUT_PROCESS_FACTORY has been removed,
what was the reason for this?

Reason was to not depend on deprecated GtkPlug/GtkSocket.

is there an alternative way of making an applet run 'out of process'?

Depends what you want to do. If it is a small applet I don't see a real need to run it out of process. Otherwise you can have a D-Bus activatable / autostartable application that does all the hard work and a small applet that uses D-Bus to communicate with the application.

If I'm looking in the wrong place, where should this macro be found?

Thanks,

David McKelvie