[gnome-flashback] Applications dropdown is blank

The subject says it all. There is nothing but a blank box in the applications menu.

I build my own system from source based on LFS-8.4 so there is no distro involved here.

I initially trired flashback with gnome 3.32  but backed down to 3.30 to see if that made a difference but it didn't.  I've built with Wayland support and without (not that it matters here). I do clean builds from scratch to ensure there is no left over crud.

Everything builds cleanly and I'm not seeing errors anywhere. Any ideas that could point me in the right direction?