Re: [gnome-flashback] Status update for Ubuntu 16.04

Hi Lanoxx,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 04:42:49PM +0100, Lanoxx wrote:
Hello Dmitry,

I think I recall a discussion with you about landing some changes for
16-04 into flashback. If I remember correctly you told me some date in
January or February until which any patches for flashback must be
finished. However I cannot find any mail about this so maybe this was on
IRC? Could you please check the following statements and let me know if
I have remembered this correct. Please correct me if something is wrong.

The date is Feature Freeze, Feb 18th.

 * Ubuntu 16-04 will ship with Flashback 3.18, you are not going to
package 3.20

Right, because 3.20 depends on GTK+ 3.20 which we won't have in 16.04.

 * If we want to add some additional patches on top of the current
3.18.x release then these patches must be ready before the Feature
Freeze on February 18th (according to [1]).

Patches adding new features are only allowed before that date. Bug fixes
are allowed at any time.

I am currently working on the input-sources module in order to implement
a "CandidatePopup" window that allows selecting complex characters from
a list (like for Chinese), work is almost done. I currently have a
working version but I still need to clean it up and fix a few remaining
issues. Once this is finished I will commit that work to the 3.18 branch.

If you have it "almost done", then no need to worry, we still have more
than a month.

There are probably a few other fixes we could backport from the current
3.20 series so that they can make it into 16.04, do you have any
preferences?

Everything which fixes bugs can be backported. Not sure if there is anything
like that in gnome-flashback, but in gnome-panel there are at least two crash
fixes (commits 2ad0b229 and 49899aa7).

When everything is back ported we will make a new 3.18.x release before
18th of February, which you can then package for 16.04.

Let me know what you think about that plan.

Right, this plan is fine for me. Thanks!