[gnome-flashback] gnome desktop trouble

Hello

Both Gnome Metacity and Compiz have problems handling 4 monitors.

Compiz:
It has been a while since I tried Compiz but it caused my computer to crash back to the boot screen several times a day, sometimes within minutes. It did allow me to rearrange the virtual monitors to match the physical layout. (3 on the desk and the 4th above the center monitor).

Metacity:
This one is stable but not all my desktop icons show up on the desktop. The best is when the virtual monitors are side by side in a single row. However, when I move the 4th virtual monitor to match the physical layout, almost all the icons disappear (I haven't counted). My guess is that it may be related to the monitor resolution that I am using. (I just tried it again)

Ubuntu 16.04, 64-bit
ATI FirePro-3D,  4-port video card
4-monitors running 1680 x 1050, rotation-normal (They won't do 1080)

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution?

Graig