Re: [gnome-flashback] Issues with gnome-flashback on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg gmail com> wrote:
Hi, I'm trying out gnome-flashback on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04, and I'll like to provide some feedback about whatever issues I discover.

1) Two nm-applets appear in the systray.

Upstream network-manager-applet does not autostart applet in GNOME any more:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-applet/commit/?id=2a7336451cb6f066dd7ea80bf9faed40881b0ebf

So we have autostart file for network-manager-applet in gnome-flashback:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-flashback/commit/?id=fd578557a888a7bb085e348e11d26751a4268a94

So ubuntu has two options:
1) don't install autostart file from gnome-flashback module
2) patch network-manager-applet desktop file by adding GNOME-Flashback to NotShowIn

2) All gnome menus, for example the Applications menu or the Gedit menus, have a large (about 20 pixels) gray border around them. Thunderbird or pidgin don't have that border. I'm using metacity, not compiz.

That is ubuntu problem/regression (at least upstream bug is closed as downstream problem):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/1520573
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+3.0/+bug/1518661

3) Some dialogs (e.g. the "save before exit?" dialog of gedit) have their buttons (Close without saving / Cancel / Save) too wide, so that they fill the whole dialog width.

This has nothing to do with GNOME Flashback.

4) I would like to propose that the window buttons are restored to their pre-Unity settings, menu/minimize/maximize/close.

I think that it is better to stick with ubuntu default layout... It is not possible to set different defaults per sessions so trying to use different layout will cause problems:
- Installing override file will change default value for all sessions, so not a real option.
- I have added workaround in gnome-flashback, but that will fully work only with metacity session, so again there will be problems for users that use compiz session.