Re: [gnome-flashback] Trouble starting GNOME Flashback on TigerVNC on Fedora 22

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Yaakov Selkowitz and I are working on packaging GNOME Flashback for Fedora.

Some of the packages are released as updates. Some are under updates
in testing. The rest are in this copr repo:
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/yselkowitz/gnome-flashback/

Right now, on Fedora 22 with that copr repo, both GNOME and GNOME
Flashback (Metacity) launch fine from GDM. And with TigerVNC, which
does support GLX and Composite, I can launch a GNOME session fine.

However, I cannot launch a GNOME Flashback (Metacity) session with TigerVNC.

I dont use and/or test GNOME Flashabck with vnc.

The problem appears to be that metacity & gnome-settings-daemon start
and stay running, but gnome-flashback and gnome-panel do not. So when
I connect with TigerVNC client, all I see is the grey background.

I've attached the journal output (journalctl --user) and the list of
running processes. I also attached the list of installed packages and
their versions.

I am assuming that you need more output, since the journal does not
appear to contain any relevant output. Let me know what you need.

Maybe add --debug to gnome-session?:
gnome-session --session=gnome-flashback-metacity --debug

I managed to reproduce this on a different Fedora 22 machine also.

-----------

More details about my TigerVNC setup:

To start TigerVNC, I run this 1-line script:
vncserver -autokill -SecurityTypes=VeNCrypt,TLSPlain -PlainUsers=$USER
-pam_service login -desktop $HOSTNAME +extension GLX

The vncserver executable in turn calls ~/.vnc/.xstartup:
#!/bin/sh

unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc contains these lines, plus some comments and
the remainder of the if block:
# Mandatorily source xinitrc-common, which is common code shared between the
# Xsession and xinitrc scripts which has been factored out to avoid duplication
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common

# The user may have their own clients they want to run.  If they don't,
# fall back to system defaults.
if [ -f $HOME/.Xclients ]; then
    exec $CK_XINIT_SESSION $SSH_AGENT $HOME/.Xclients || \
    exec $CK_XINIT_SESSION $SSH_AGENT $HOME/.Xclients
elif [ -f /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ]; then
    exec $CK_XINIT_SESSION $SSH_AGENT /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients || \
    exec $CK_XINIT_SESSION $SSH_AGENT /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients

If I put "gnome-session" in $HOME/.Xclients, or if I have no
$HOME/.Xclients file, then GNOME launches fine. But when I put either
of these lines, GNOME Flashback runs into the above-mentioned problem:
gnome-session --session=gnome-flashback-metacity
/usr/libexec/gnome-flashback-metacity

-Mike