Re: [gnome-flashback] Future of the system tray

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 23:53:46 +0300, Alberts Muktupāvels wrote:
3. Specification does not include any info about protocol version... I have
no idea what should be put there.

Nice catch.

This is 5 years old. I have read message from Matthias Clasen. No one has
updated it in 5 years!!!

:-/

Agreed. But again, I think compatibility is more important.

What compatibility? Switching from org.kde.xxx to org.freedesktop is not
compatible. Doing this change method names, signals, propartes can be
easaly changed - it all about renaming.

But it's not that hard to write an implementation compatible with both
org.freedesktop.* and org.kde.*, right?

How it is evolving? By changing name? I think this is spec is not ready to
use org.freedestkop. I have only seen recently mail about proposing to move
this spec from "Draft specifications that are new and not yet widely used,
though they may be used by one or more desktops or desktop applications" to
section "Draft specifications that have pretty good de facto
adoption/agreement".

Do you know something more?

Most specifications in the latter section ("Draft specifications that have
pretty good de facto adoption/agreement") are *very* popular and supported
by nearly every DE in the world. So if such a move happens, it will be a good
step forward for the specification.

Now I see that there have been some edits less than a year ago [1]. Most of
them are cosmetic, but I think it's worth to try proposing some patches for
that specification text.

[1]: https://secure.freedesktop.org/cgit/www/log/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem.mdwn

Can we really ignore this? For, example, how are skype or dropbox showing
indicators? Will they work with org.freedesktop.StatusNotiferItem?

For example I am using edited exec line for dropbox:
Exec=env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity dropbox start -i

Otherwise no dropbox indicator... Only if notification-area applet is added.

If they use Qt 4, then usually they will need a classic X11 tray.

However Ubuntu has a patched Qt 4, which supports plugins providing
their own QSystemTrayIcon implementations. sni-qt is such a plugin, and it
is able to use the indicators. But that is Ubuntu-specific thing.

And Qt 4 is going away, so we don't need to care about it (Qt 5 supports
plugins out of the box, and it also has a native SNI implementation).

There is bug about adding back notification-area to default panel layout,
maybe you should do it...

I don't want to do it. Provided that most major desktops (KDE, GNOME and
Unity) got rid of it. Also it causes some bugs like two keyboard indicators.