Re: [gnome-flashback] Main menu 10 times slower in Ubuntu 12.04 vs 10.04

And here's a video of the Linux Mint version that is based on Ubuntu 12.04:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSB9EtTgC-s

It's very fast. So I'm guessing it indicates that the problem is specific to gnome-panel...

Guys, gnome-flashback is eventually going to die, right?
Is there any reason to keep proposing it as the best DE for LTSP instead of proposing e.g. the mate desktop of Linux Mint, which seems much faster, much more stable, and has less issues with e.g. the keyboard layout, the panels disappearing etc etc?

Thanks,
Alkis

Στις 23/01/2014 06:43 πμ, ο/η Alkis Georgopoulos έγραψε:
A video of gnome-panel menus in Ubuntu 12.04 (1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1) going
incredibly slowly, able to draw only about 2 menu items per second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEoe2LlrY-I

Doing the same thing in Ubuntu 10.04 (1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1) shows that the
menus there were 10 times faster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGW2eJEHvY

Those are on the same PC, Pentium 4 at 1.7 GHz with 1 GB RAM.
I tried several graphics cards, it's not related to the graphics card
drivers.

So, somewhere between those 2 gnome-panel versions (maybe the gtk3 move
was involved?) a huge regression happened, and now the menus are almost
unusable in older PCs.

It's possible that the problem is not in gnome-panel itself but in some
of the involved libraries, or the themes, or even the gcc compilation
options, but does anyone have some idea what would be responsible for
this and how to pinpoint it so that we report it to its developers, _if_
gnome-panel is not to blame here?
I didn't notice (yet) any significant regression in other applications.

Thanks,
Alkis