Re: HIG migration

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 2:26 AM Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> I"m seeing more of this going forward - migration to gitlab pages. This is great - but at some point we'll need to figure out how all this fits together coherently.

Good question.

We have a current GSoD proposal that will look at auditing the wiki.gnome.org and then work on a proposal for documentation for GNOME for the dynamic content although not the api docs.

There are puzzles to deal with it - for instance we've found that many get started working on GNOME code through extensions and do it without proper content.

> I assume you will update the developer.gnome.org web pages and any other housekeeping or is that going to be up to engagement/docs teams? Don't want to assume :)

My impression from reading Emmanuele's blog [1] is that the current
incarnation of developer.gnome.org (ie. based on library-web) is going
away, and that API docs will be generated using Sphinx in the future.

Fair enough - but I assume there must be some pointer that will need to be added. But if you migrate before the above happens then we should probably update the links.

IMHO we should sunset developer.gnome.org as quickly as possible as it is full of GNOME3/GTK3 isms.

The design team is likely to use something Sphinx-like, with a
customised theme. That theme could be used by other GNOME projects to
give our docs a consistent look. We could also potentially investigate
common navigation elements, like a home button that takes you to
developer.gnome.org.

We also need to integrate https://gjs.guide/ which is another entry point into the GNOME developer-verse.

Regarding developer.gnome.org itself, I think we could potentially do
a new static home page which links off to each of the independent
Sphinx-generated docs sites. This would need to be manually updated to
add new content, but that's probably a good thing.

That makes sense to me.

Best,
sri

Allan