Re: including system icons in help docs

Hi Shaun,

On Fri, 8 May, 2020 at 19:18, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
It would be possible to do it in Yelp, but then there's the question of
what happens when you publish the docs elsewhere. We could maybe make
the new Pintail-based docs site support it (preferably without making
build machines have themes and the rest of the stack installed).

If the src attributes on Mallard referenced a custom "system-icon" URI scheme then Yelp could do an icon lookup for the current theme, and rendered HTML on a docs web site could have the IMG src rewritten to point to whatever icon theme has been included in the build. But that would require support in both tools.

But if you do a simple build with e.g. yelp-build, either you ship the icons
as a fallback, or you have broken docs. Perhaps some folks are ok with
their docs only being usable in Yelp and on help.gnome.org.

Adding Adwaita as a build dep would probably help at least ensure packaged versions have the icons present. Actually I wonder if that's a good short-term solution: Depend on the icon theme and just reference the icons with an absolute path?

I think it's worth looking into more, but I don't see myself having
time to look into it myself any time soon.

Fair enough, I'm in the same boat tbh. Thanks for the reply!

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>