Single or double quotation marks + Typography

While translating, I encountered many fuzzy strings where only quotation marks have changed. Example:
What does "super user" mean?
The user's privileges
type ‘<cmd>rhythmbox</cmd>’

I have read the guidelines [1] and [2], and found them very interesting.

The question is: is there a difference between single and double quotation marks? In my language there is no difference between the two, but it is recommended to use either single or double, not both in one document.

I realize that it is quite a job to change all, but maybe it should be mentioned in the guidelines which is preferred.

Let me know what you think.

Hannie

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/UnicodeUsage
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/typography.html.en