Re: Re-licensing the documentation provided by Sun Microsystems

Hi Mayuresh

On 2014-09-04 11:28, Mayuresh Nirhali <Mayuresh Nirhali oracle com> wrote:
On 8/22/2014 1:49 AM, David King wrote:
The documentation for gucharmap is still licensed under the GFDL 1.1,
and it is only possible to share documentation with other GNOME
projects that have a CC-BY-SA license (which is most of the Mallard
documentation) if a compatible license is used.

The documentation for gucharmap is still not converted to Mallard
documentation due to its incompatible license correct ?
also, Can you please help me understand what do you mean by "sharing
documentation with other GNOME projects" ?

GNOME is split up into many modules (generally, a git repository that is released as a tarball, of source code and documentation). If the documentation in different modules is using a compatible license, then it is possible to freely copy documentation between modules. CC-BY-SA is a particularly useful license, as it also allows reuse of documentation from Wikipedia.

It is not necessary to relicense documentation to CC-BY-SA so that it can be converted to Mallard, but as far as I am aware, all Mallard documentation in GNOME is available under (at least) a CC-BY-SA license. It is considerably easier for people to work on documentation (and copy content as described above) when compatible licenses are used.

A relicense to CC-BY-SA 3.0 (or a dual license, which would have the
same effect) would be appreciated.
Yes, We would like to take this forward and close it soon.

Thanks Tobias for all your help,

Sounds great! Thanks for your efforts on this.

--
http://amigadave.com/