Re: Showing devel docs on developer.gnome.org

On 2 May 2014 12:06, Ekaterina Gerasimova <kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:
Hi all, the issue of how we present docs on developer.gnome.org has
come up at the developer experience hackfest in Berlin this week.

We've thought about changing https://developer.gnome.org/ to have only
three sections for guides, HIG and API references (and the API
search).

The platform overview and examples would be only accessible through
the guides section. The development tools would also be merged into
the guides section and the "GNOME development" link/page would be
removed after being fully merged into the website footer, as most of
those are already there and so that they are available throughout the
website.

The guides (https://developer.gnome.org/guides) would be tidied and
we're considering whether it's worth embarking on porting all that we
want to Mallard and have the guides landing page in Mallard as well.
It would be a lot of work, but maybe less than doing work on
library-web, and it would be easier for the docs team to update. Dave
and I were talking about writing some of the platform-demos into more
guide-like examples as the docs team had done at Open Help 2013 for
adding translation support, adding user docs and 10 minute tour. Allan
suggested that it would be good to have these on the demo landing
page. At the moment, the only way I know of doing that is having one
directory and Makefile.am per example, but this strikes me as very
impractical, which is where the conversation about porting everything
to Mallard came from.

I have also updated our devel docs tracking page and Allan has added
the ideas from our discussions to it:
https://wiki.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/Tasks/DeveloperDocs

Most importantly, gnome-devel-docs is now shown live from master on
developer.gnome.org, so don't break master. If you're unsure about
something or unable to test it, please push to a branch and ask for
help. Thanks for making it work Fred!