Tools for Developer Documentation

Hello,

I'm writing programs and libraries in C++, and I'd like to know how the
various doc tools are used together. This is what I started using
recently:

- Doxygen for source code documentation
- Mallard for user guide

Now I want to write developer docs:

- Tutorial for using API
- Guide to contribution (which tools are needed, workflow, etc.)
- Coding conventions
- Program internals, source code structure, diagrams, protocols,
research, etc.

The question is, how to write the developer docs. I need to easily make
links from the developer docs to source files and Doxygen pages. Should
I use Doxygen for them (i.e. write docs in markdown) or Mallard?

I've seen lots of incomplete documention for Gnome C++ modules: some
explanation of class usage is in Doxygen, some in external tutorials,
some info missing, etc. so I want to make sure I take a good decision
now, before I have docs scattered in many places.

Thanks
fr33domlover