Re: ObexFTP removal in Sharing panel

On 12 November 2013 08:07, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
Heya,

I want to remove a part of the Bluetooth section of the "Sharing" panel
in GNOME 3.10's control-center.

From the (not yet pushed) commit I have for gnome-user-share (which is
where the feature is actually implemented):
commit 9dd646b086f1016c6458b7d43b298af8efe8c595
Author: Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Date:   Sat Nov 9 15:27:02 2013 +0100

    obex: Remove OBEX FTP support

    The problem is two-fold:
    - There's barely any OBEX FTP clients left for the use cases we
      want to enable (sending files from a mobile device to the computer),
      and we don't have a native OBEX FTP client in GNOME anymore (as
      it was removed in recent gvfs)
    - It doesn't work as we expect, with no way to disable it when started.
      We expect to be able to cut the connection on already connected
      devices, for example, which obexd doesn't allow.

Bluetooth sharing in GNOME 3.10 relies on obexd from BlueZ 5.x, instead
of the old obex-data-server. Turns out that there were quite a few
regressions caused by that, and no fix in sight (if at all possible).

Fedora already removed ObexFTP support (as there was no movement on
this:
http://www.hadess.net/2011/11/obexftp-in-gnome-non-update.html

I'm keen to remove the code from gnome-control-center so as not to give
users false hopes. Most of the code in the Sharing panel is already
dependent on the necessary system bits being installed before showing up
(vino for screen sharing, rygel for media sharing), so I don't think
that removing/hiding forever this section is going to cause huge trouble
for the docs.

Can I get some acks on getting that code removed, and the support fixed?

From the docs point of view, we cannot document it if it doesn't work,
so I would prefer if it was removed from the UI until it is fixed.

The panels that are shown under specific conditions do already cause
problems for documentation because they are a pain to test but are not
as bad as a panel that doesn't work.

Thanks for the the detailed report and your blogposts about changes,
both are very helpful.

Cheers