Software for Writing Documentation

Hello,

I'm working on a desktop app using Gnome technologies and I'd like to
write documentation, both developer docs and a user manual.

So far, the only GUI tool I've been using for serious documents is LyX,
which produces LaTex files I convert to PDF.

But now I need to write software docs and Mallard seems to be the way to
do it. What are the tools for easy creation of Mallard/docbook
documents? Can I still use LyX? If not, are there WYSIWYM tools like
LyX, which produce Mallard files? Or I need to write the xml/sgml source
by hand?

Thanks in advance
Anatoly

*** Random ideas: ***
- An XML editor such as Conglomerate or XMLCopyEditor
- An IDE which adds closing tags automatically
- A WYSIWYM document processor able to export to XML/Docbook, such as
LyX maybe
- Convenient Mallard/XML editing mode in Emacs

Does anyone use any such tool? If not, maybe I'll write a tool myself, I
don't see a reason why a tool like Lyx, or even a simple document
processor like Abiword, can't be used to export Mallard docs. And a
special too for Mallard can be even better :)