Re: Revamping the developer documentation

Hi,

On 2013-02-26 08:54, meg ford <meg387 gmail com> wrote:
I think having useful information front and center makes sense, but we are
trying to present an unfamiliar platform, so I think it's better to have
some simple examples included on the main site. The majority of development
is less complicated than coding for GNOME (I recently showed a friend of
mine who writes options trading software using VBA and C++  some libxml
functions, and he compared it to monks in the middle ages writing with
pens, for example).

libxml is a bad API to present to anyone, and I think that most users of the API would agree. :-) There have been efforts to improve the situation, such as GXml, but none have gained traction. There are, of course, many examples of GNOME being complicated to develop for, so it remains a good point.

Sure, my point is just that developers are not handed a lot of functionality for free (for example, if you compare our platform something like jQuery UI), so it makes sense to spell things out so there is a simple route to getting an app up and running.

Meg

--
http://amigadave.com/