Re: Revamping the developer documentation

Hi Allan

On 2013-02-25 23:21, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
As some of you know, I spent some time looking at the developer docs
during the recent Developer Experience Hackfest. I was also able to
have a short discussion about it yesterday at the Documentation
Hackfest in Brno.

Here's a brief summary of the ideas that have come out of these
discussions so far:
…

Agree on all your points so far.

* Having a more encompassing organisational structure would help us
to identify what documentation is missing and should also help
application developers find the help they need. One idea that came out
of the Documentation Hackfest was that the developer docs could be
structured around task areas, such as application integration,
multimedia or creating UI. Each section could then include specific
development tasks: "Writing a Desktop File", "Playing Audio", "Dialog
Windows".

I think that this idea is really important to make the documentation overview more useful for newcomers. I copied your notes from:

http://piratepad.net/RJKlSsKee3

into the wiki:

https://live.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/Tasks/DeveloperDocs#Developer_documentation_outline

as it seemed the natural place.