Re: itstool improvements

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 13:01 +0300, Luc Pionchon wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:43, Luc Pionchon <pionchon luc gmail com> wrote:
> > One more thing,
> > as I am reading the following:
> >
> >     #: C/scan-file-system.page:48(page/p) C/scan-folder.page:53(page/p)
> >
> > The same string can be used in several places and in several pages.
> >
> > I imagine that potentially the tags surrounding the string could be
> > different, isn't it?
> >
> > And I imagine that the comment might not be duplicated on each
> > occurrence of the string, being potentially different. Could it be?
>
> Here is a concrete example, in baobab/help:
> the string is in page/p, except for the last topic where it is in note/p
>
> #: C/scan-file-system.page:55(page/p) C/scan-folder.page:60(page/p)
> #: C/scan-home.page:57(page/p) C/scan-remote.page:97(note/p)

Correct, strings can appear multiple places, and they might not
always be in the same parent tags. Comments can also come from
multiple places, perhaps in each page. And they might be the
exact same comments, but also with different parent tags.

For the string itself, itstool collects all the markers and shows
the unique ones. So with your example above, you'll see this:

#. ## Message for page/p
#. ## Message for note/p
#: C/scan-file-system.page:55
#: C/scan-folder.page:60
#: C/scan-home.page:57
#: C/scan-remote.page:97

You won't see "String for element page/p" three times.

For comments, itstool collects all the comments and compares them
to each other. It throws away duplicate comments, but it merges
markers from duplicate comments into the comments it shows.

So let's say we have this:

You'll see this:

#. ## Message for page/p
#. ## Message for note/p