Re: Gedit docs shouldn't mention extra plugins

Am 19.03.2012 03:40, schrieb Jim Campbell:
Hi Mario,

2012/3/17 Mario Blättermann <mario blaettermann gmail com>
Am 17.03.2012 23:18, schrieb Jim Campbell:
Hi Mario,

2012/3/17 Mario Blättermann <mario blaettermann gmail com>
Hi,

while translating the Gedit documentation I've seen that a lot of
plugins are part of the main manual which are _not_ part of the gedit
main package. This forces translators first to make sure that they have
all the GUIs of the appropriate plugins translated (which are in general
not part of the GNOME core release set).

Mallard has the ability to mix docs from different sources. Means, we
should actually move the plugin docs to the plugin packages
(gedit-plugins and perhaps some other from third party vendors. This is
not my first attempt to do so. Removing the plugin topics from the base
manual would it make easier to maintain the docs anyway, because we
don't have to mention things such as "If the xxx package is not
installed, you will be unable to use this feature".

Of course, it's too less time to get it into GNOME 3.4, but we should
keep an eye on 3.6.

Best Regards,
Mario

You're absolutely right. There are some plugins that are installed by default in gedit, but some plugins are only available when you install the gedit-plugins package.

I'll move the extra plugins (those installed in the gedit-plugins package) into a separate repository for the next release.

Don't understand "extra repository" here. The one and only way is to move them to the gedit-plugins module and create a docs stack therein, means /help/C/ and Makefile.am and so on.

That's correct.

The somewhat difficult part is to assign the docs pages to the right topics and subtopics in the gedit manual. Am I right?

Hm, well, we would still link these plugin-related pages into a plugins-related section in the regular portions of the gedit "manual," so I think you're on the right track. I don't think this will be too difficult, though.

I'll make this change early in the 3.6 release cycle so that we have plenty of time to make the change and test things out. I'm not as familiar with how translations are handled, so I'll also make certain that existing translations can be migrated as part of this change.
Would be really simple: Once the docs stack in gedit-plugins has been established, we have to add the language related folders from gedit, too. In the "Damned Lies" pages the existing translations will be merged with the new pot file, and the strings which are no longer used will be commented out automatically. After that, translators can update the files and remove the unused strings.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for your help in translating the docs, Mario.  : )
There are at least two more applications which have to be migrated that way. The eog manual also comes with things which has to be moved to the eog-plugins package. And Epiphany needs a rewritten manual anyway. Any topics regarding the extensions from the epiphany-extensions package should land in that package.

Best Regards,
Mario