Re: gnome-user-docs master

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 17:49, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 14:53 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 09:50 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > Did people find the last one useful? It wasn't nearly as engaging
> > as our in-person sprints. I don't really have a clear idea of what
> > got accomplished.
>
> I'm sorry I couldn't be around for more of the last one. I managed to
> get the eog docs fully reviewed and edited after a few days, but that's
> all I'm afraid.
>
> > I think I could do Sep 24-25. It's crazy, and the translators will
> > hate us.

juts a little, not that much

But we're not getting gnome-help frozen this cycle anyway.

> Do we have a list of tasks which would ideally be accomplished by the
> tarball deadline? I can hopefully work on some of those over the next
> few days. And why aren't we freezing gnome-help?

Not freezing because it's not ready. There are 238 pages that are
completely unreviewed for 3.2. Every page needs to be reviewed for
technical accuracy, because software changes could affect any one
of them.

Would it be possible to flag the pages with their maturity level?

In such a way that it appears in the .po files.
So the translators would know what pages to focus on.

Something like
- stub                  (dummy text)
- draft                  (major change expected)
- under rework    (some changes expected)
- under review     (little changes expected)
- final

I am thinking it could also appear on the rendered pages (maybe as a build time option), which would be fair play with the reader. And since it is public collaborative work, under-final flagged pages could link to a page explaining how to contribute.

               [This is a stub. You can <link>contribute</link>!]

There were pretty big changes in System Settings, including Online
Accounts, Region and Language, Color (documented, could use review),
Network (Proxy), Power, and Wacom Graphics Tablets. There might have
been more. It needs review.

The user menu changed, in particular the chat/notification status.
Some notifications changed. We have a persistent notification for
mounted devices. That may change how we tell people to interact
with devices, in particular eject.

Then there's Contacts. We might end up skipping it this cycle, but
that will make the Online Accounts stuff very weird. "You can use
these accounts for contacts. What's that? We're not telling you!"
Then again, documents is mentioned in OA, and release-team said
that Documents is a tech preview, and we shouldn't touch it.

By the way, Online Accounts has a pretty big impact on the Empathy
help, which is now tragically outdated.

So, yeah, lots to do still.

--
Shaun