Excise input methods

Folks,

I've been struggling with documenting input methods. I have
a vague notion of how they work, but not enough understanding
to write really stellar help.

I was just chatting with Owen, and he informed me we don't
even have a blessed upstream input method. Fedora uses IBus.
Some distros might use SCIM. And there's all sorts of overlap
between the IBus stuff and our keyboard layout selector.

So if I'm to document input methods, I either need to write
complete docs for all the various input methods, or I have
to write crap like "Select an input method. You're on your
own now."

What's more, this is all planned to change in 3.2:

<owen> shaunm: in 3.2 (if we get thngs done), keyboard layouts are
actually going to be closely integrated with input methods, so the top
level view is "I want in to write in Greek" vs. "I want to write in
Japanese" rather than "I want a Greek keyboard layout" vs. "I want a
Japanese input method"

So right now, I'm thinking of cutting the page for input
methods, and removing the section referencing them from
tips-specialchars. It sucks, because this stuff really
needs docs in its current state. But it'll take me the
rest of the week to write something only barely passably
decent, and then we'll throw it away in six months.

Objections?

--
Shaun