Re: Freeze break request

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 21:32 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 10:26 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > > There has been some discussions on how to best handle accidental deletes
> > > in nautilus, and we've at last decided that the best way is a two-fold
> > > approach:
> > >
> > > 1) Finish the undo work so you can easily get back things if you realize
> > > you made a mistake
> > > 2) Make the delete keybinding ctrl-delete rather than just delete to
> > > make it harder to accidentally trigger this without noticing.
> > >
> > > The first is planned for 3.2, but the second has a patch at:
> > > https://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2011-March/msg00041.html
> > >
> > > Unfortunately we and we sort of dropped the ball on that, so we're a bit
> > > late.
> > >
> > > I'd still like to get this in for 3.0 though, as it is a better time to
> > > make a behavior change like this than in a minor release.
> > >
> > > So, can I get a freeze break for this?
> >
> > I guess I can see the argument that this would be a somewhat jarring
> > behaviour change in a .1 release. It will be a jarring behaviour
> > change for nautilus users in 3.0 too, though - have we thought about
> > adding this to the release notes, eg ?
>
> Yeah, that is probably a good idea. Do we mention this in the docs
> anywhere else? (CC:ing docs list)

On a few pages, I'm sure. Let me make sure I have the proposal
straight:

* In 3.0, make Del do nothing, Ctrl+Del deletes (moves to trash).
  Shift+Del would still be the keybinding for permanent delete?

* In 3.2, Undo (Ctrl+Z?) will restore the file you just deleted.
  It's just a quick shortcut, and the trash otherwise works as
  it always has.

Is that right?

--
Shaun