Desktop help - What still needs to be done?

Hi guys,

Congratulations to everyone who helped make the Toronto hackfest last
week such a success - an insane amount of work got done and things are
looking really great now. A bit more work and we'll have The Best Docs
Ever (TM), just in time for the GNOME 3.0 release. We need to keep up
the pace though, since we're releasing soon.

Here's an overview of what's left to do. I'll provided specifics in two
other emails. Nothing here is particularly set in stone, it's just meant
as a guide. I've probably missed some things too.

      * Write essential stub topics (see other email for a list). We
        can't release without completed versions of these.
      * Write as many non-essential stub topics as possible.
      * Write basic pages for the distro stub topics for a few major
        distros (e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuSE).
      * Test-drive the navigation of the guide. Make sure that pages can
        be accessed in a sensible way from the index. (It's OK to have
        some orphan pages, though.) Add link titles for guide pages with
        long names to make Yelp's breadcrumb bar more usable.
      * Make sure that all pages have a meaningful <desc> element. Get
        in touch if you can't think of a good one. We'll review whether
        the descriptions should be shown or not for GNOME 3.2 (as
        requested by Jim).
      * Full editorial review of all topics marked "review". This is a
        big job. I'll be starting on part of it soon.
      * Decide on a stable guide page API for 3.0. This will be useful
        for distributors. We should provide an overview of guide pages
        on live.gnome.org for reference.
      * Do all of the screenshots. This should wait until almost the
        last minute, so we have a fully up-to-date UI to work with. I'll
        send through a list of screenshots that need to be taken later
        on.
      * Some short videos might be necessary, especially for the window
        interaction pages (shell-windows-*).

This list may look a little intimidating, but we're well on the way to
getting it done. Keep up the good work folks!

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull