Re: Planned GNOME Shell UI changes (was Re: String and UI Change Announcement)

Il giorno lun, 10/01/2011 alle 12.33 -0500, Owen Taylor ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 23:31 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
>
> > It probably makes sense at least for the shell team and for the people
> > working on the default theme to tell gnome-doc-list how much of the UI
> > can be expected to still change during that period. It'd be a shame to
> > have people starting to take many screenshots if they'll all be outdated
> > a few weeks after.
>
> Here's what I'm aware of in the pipeline. I would expect various changes
> in addition to this, but nothing very major.
>
> - Owen

[...]
>  * A native network indicator applet will be added that works with
>    NetworkManager 0.9 will be landing. (So don't screenshot the
>    current nm-applet which doesn't even have symbolic icons for
>    the panel)

I'm not sure it will make it in 3.0. I have alpha quality code for that
indicator (better than the one I posted half a year ago), but I cannot
really test it since it depends on libnm-glib 0.9 with rm-userset, which
is incompatible with NetworkManager 0.8.990.
You could run the jhbuilt daemon but, ignoring security issues, is not
really workable, given that it is not compatible with nm-applet and does
not load configs from either GConf or rhcfg-plugin.
Also, a lot of features are missing, like asking for a wireless key or
creating adhoc connections.

(Of course, if someone has another indicator patch, it would be a
totally different story)

Giovanni