Re: Construction sentences with embedded widgets (was: String changes in gnome-keyring)

On 2 Sep 2010, at 22:57, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:

> Imagine a language that requires text both before and after the position
> where the widget is supposed to show up. Example to demonstrate the
> issue I'm referring to (in English): "Forget this password after
> [widget-goes-here] of idle time"

IIRC (although I can't see exactly where right now) the HIG recommends against using such constructs, both for l10n and a11y reasons, and recommends always trying to rearrange things into a more conventional Label: Widget layout.  Re-using your example:

Idle time after which to forget password: [widget]

But you could certainly argue that the resultant wording is often a little more forced, and the resultant layout may still not be possible to replicate in every language anyway.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.