Re: Platform for Developer Documentation

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 22:32 +0000, Philip Withnall wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 15:16 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > I'm going to begin sketching out the content plan for
> > the Platform Overview based on this.  If I've forgotten
> > something, please tell me.  If you feel strongly that
> > anything I mentioned should not be pushed, speak up.
>
> What about libnotify, libunique and libxml2? They're fairly commonly
> used, but I'm not sure if we should be pushing them. There's still talk
> of including the functionality of the first two in GTK+/GLib, while
> libxml2 is hardly a shining example of a usable or well-documented
> library.

I think we've generally considered libxml2 to be a system
library lately.

For libnotify, I admit I've been actively avoiding the
discussions about notification systems lately, because
they have a tendency to get unpleasant.

If libunique really can't make it into GLib or GTK+,
then I suppose it's something that should be talked
about.

> What about jhbuild, Alleyoop and D-Feet for applications? jhbuild is
> vital for anyone wanting to build GNOME, Alleyoop is in the same vein as
> Nemiver, and D-Feet should be pushed if you're pushing D-Bus.

I didn't know about Alleyoop, and I agree D-Feet is
a nice tool.  I know I ignored our release sets for
the platform libraries, but for the developer tools
it would actually be really nice if I could follow
that release set.

I think jhbuild is in a different class altogether.
My target audience is people who want to develop with
our platform, not necessarily people who want to work
on Gnome itself.

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/