Re: Bootstrapping tutorial

> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:17:53 +0100
> From: Dave Neary <dneary gnome org>
>
> I would really appreciate people from this list having a quick glance
> over it, help fill in any gaps in the tutorial, and build on Lennart's
> work. I think it's pretty good (the stated goal was: "get someone with
> a fresh Linux install to the point where they can compile GNOME software
> as quickly as possible, and explain each step along the way, pointing
> to further documentation if it's appropriate").

Hi

As a relatively new Gnome developer (less that two years I have got back
Nautilus-Actions), and yet learning with Gnome tools (currently suffering
with Gtk-doc), here are some free remarks:

- is it really useful to explain what a compiler is, or what a header
  file is ?
  if the future Gnome developer does not know about compiler, headers,
  sources, libraries, I am afraid he is really far from his goal.

- a list of development packages sounds as needed in my opinion,
  not only gcc, autotools, make, but also gtk-doc, docbook, libxml2,
  gnome-doc-tools and so on.

- maybe it would be interesting to have some lines about Gnome foundations,
  as GLib, Gtk+, GObject.

- I do not know if C is the first used language in Gnome applications,
  but at least some words about other languages (Python, Mono, ...) and
  their bindings may prevent some impervious persons to just go away :)

- Also, when I first took Nautilus-Actions on my favorite IDE, I would
  like have just a set of up-to-date documentations about Gnome general
  workflow, l10n and translator teams... There is some good pages for
  what a maintainer should do, but developer documentation is just much
  more scattered.

- last but not least, is installing gedit in $HOME a really good idea ?
  I thought ~/.local was the adequate place for this sort of thing ?

Were just my two cents.
Regards
Pierre