Re: Icons for page types

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 11:38 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 19:22 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > > I'm attaching three rough ideas for page type icons.
> > > Please excuse my poor artistic skills. Obviously we'd
> > > want a real artist to do final versions.
> > >
> > > These aren't named in any way that indicates what they
> > > are. I'd like people to guess, to see if the metaphors
> > > convey anything useful. And I'd love it if people could
> > > get non-documentation friends and family to guess too.
> > > People on this list are probably primed to give biased
> > > answers.
> >
> > And a fourth. Sorry for the noise.
>
> Any more guesses on these? Should I reveal what I thought
> when I did them?
>
> --
> Shaun

1 - Video. Everybody got this.

2 - Tip. The current Yelp note icon for a tip is a stylized
"i" in a blue circle. When I was running things by Silke,
she immediately thought "light bulb" when I said "tip", and
I think that's pretty common. If we're to use a light bulb
for the page type icon, we should also use it for the note.

3 - Tasks. I tried to make it look like the step lists you
see near the top of any task page. The execution was bad.
Here's what I have in git right now:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/yelp/plain/data/icons/hicolor/16x16/status/yelp-page-task.png

4 - Nobody got this. It's supposed to be a window, and I
actually took that one straight from gnome-icon-theme. It
would be used for things like the "accounts-window" page
in Empathy.

I'm also using this as a fallback icon right now:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/plain/gnome/16x16/actions/help-contents.png

I'm using these in a few places in Yelp 3. I like it so
far, but we need to talk more about what page types are
worth having an icon for. And we need to get somebody to
draw for us. Because I can't.

Thanks everybody for your input.

--
Shaun