[Fwd: Re: Documentation Drafts]

Hi guys,

I'm forwarding some topics that Cristopher Thomas has been writing for
the Desktop Help. Please take a look - they seem pretty much spot on to
me! We'll be working on getting them into Mallard format soon.

Phil

--
Phil Bull
https://launchpad.net/~philbull

A file or folder can be copied to a new location by dragging and dropping with the mouse, or you can use the copy and paste commands.  This can be useful when creating a folder containing files to email to a friend or coworker, or when backing up individual files to an external storage device.

Drag Files to the New Location
1. With the file manager open to the folder containing the item you want to copy, open a second file manager window or tab.
2. In the second window or tab, navigate to the item's new destination.
3. Press and hold Ctrl, then click and drag the item to it's new destination.

Copy and Past to the New Location
1. Select the item you want to copy.
2. Choose Edit >> Copy
3. Navigate to the item's new destination.
4. Choose Edit >> Paste
Move a File or Folder to a New Location

A file or folder can be moved to a new location by dragging and dropping with the mouse, or you can use the cut and paste commands.  This could, for example, allow you to sort files saved in your Downloads folder into other folders for long term storage.

Drag Files to the New Location
1. With the file manager open to the folder containing the item you want to move, open a second file manager window or tab.
2. In the second window or tab, navigate to the item's new destination.
3. Click and drag the item to it's new destination.

Cut and Paste to the New Location
1. Select the item you want to move.
2. Choose Edit >> Cut
3. Navigate to the item's new destination.
4. Choose Edit >> Paste
You can tell the file manager to open files using an application other than the default.  For example, Rhythmbox is Ubuntu's default music player, but you may want to open an audio file with another music player you've installed.  You can also change the default application for a given file type.

Open files using a non-default application
1. Right-click the file you want to act on.
2. Select from the available "Open with" choices.

Note: Selecting the "Open with Other Application..." option will bring up a list of available applications for you to select from.  Not all applications listed will be able to work with that file type.

Change a file type's default application
1. Select a file of the type whose default application you want to change.
2. In the menu bar, choose File >> Properties
3. Choose the "Open With" tab
4. Select the application you want to associate with your chosen file type.

Note: The Add and Remove buttons allow you to tailor this list of applications.
Deleting a File or Folder

By default, deleted items are moved to the Trash folder where they are stored until the Trash folder is emptied.  Items stored in the Trash folder can be restored to their original location if you decide you need them, or if they were accidentally deleted.

Move an Item to the Trash Folder

1. Select the item you want to delete.
2. Press the Delete key on your keyboard.

You can also bypass the Trash folder when deleting items, however this method is not recommended.  Important:  You will not be able to recover items deleted this way.

Permanently Delete a File or Folder

1. Select the item you want to delete.
2. Press and hold the Shift key, then press the Delete key on your keyboard.

--- End Message ---