Re: Question about accessible help

Hi Shaun:

Thanks so much for asking. I think we'd need to see the HTML content that is generated. There might be things around this that could be improved (e.g., making sure things are in a table with proper headings and such).

We might also try looking at other ways to get the same visual ease of use, but provide hints for the screen reader to say something.

Do you have some example HTML we could play with?

Will

Shaun McCance wrote:
Please keep gnome-doc-list CC'd on replies.

The documentation team was discussing using check marks in
feature comparison tables in help documents, but we were
worried about the accessibility impact.

Without:
  Service   Audio   Video
  AIM       No      No
  Jabber    Yes     Yes

With:
  Service   Audio   Video
  AIM
  Jabber    ✔       ✔

Looking at it visually, the meaning is pretty clear.  And
it's really much easier to scan.  And, well, it looks nice.

But I'm afraid a screen reader will just say "AIM [pause]
[pause] Jabber HEAVY CHECK MARK HEAVY CHECK MARK", which
doesn't convey that much information.

Can someone from the accessibility team give some guidance?

--
Shaun