Re: Question about organizing mallard docs

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 14:28 -0600, Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This might be a naive question, but in looking at the documentation
> for Empathy, all of the .page files are located in the same directory.
> Does anything special need to be done when using documents from
> multiple directories.  For example:
> empathy/help/C/gettingstarted/[bunch of pages] and
> empathy/help/C/advanced-topics/[bunchofpages].
>
> I've found it a bit difficult to find particular topics within the
> Empathy help xml files, and it seems like things would get awfully
> cumbersome once you got past more than about 20 .page files.

Hey Jim,

This is something I decided not to support, for performance
reasons.  Mallard takes enough of a seek penalty as it is.
Digging into subdirectories didn't seem like a good idea.

I do have plans to support multiple pages in a single file.
I'm tentatively calling them stack files.  Instead of putting
related pages in a directory together, you could just have
them all in one file.  I think this addresses the "look at
all these files!" problem pretty nicely.  If you think it's
crap, though, please let me know.

(Stack files also help address some localization problems.)

--
Shaun