Ubuntu 8.10 CD

I sent for & got a CD for Ubuntu 8.10. I put it in the drive; it has a icon on desktop & name in finder window under Mac HD. I can't see how to run it or download it. It will not open. I click on icon on desktop & it opens the files/folders. It does not run or open so as to use it. I have intel core 2 duo, 1 G ram, 64 G + HD available & free. It is a Macbook laptop bought 12/26/6. This CD will not run as per instructions on cover. Is it written for Apple OS? I did not see (in order on line) to specify Apple. All on line support refers to windows operation & problems?questions. Please send email on how to do this. Also, on line support, give help for Apple OS users. There is none.
Thank you. James Evans.  Little Rock, Arkansas.