Re: gnome-bluetooth documentation validation

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 23:27 +0200, Milo Casagrande wrote:
> In the revision history, the "version" of the manual is actually
> wrong. As a GNOME Doc convention, the major number of the manual
> should respect the major number of the GNOME Desktop (in this case 2),
> while the minor number if is the first version will be zero.
>
> So, to sum it up, the version should be 2.0 (if in the future you'll
> update it, it will probably be 2.1 or 3.1).

I want to clarify this with respect to Mallard.

Given any page, there are basically three version numbers that
are interesting: the version of the page, the version of the
document, and the version of the enclosing package.  In simple
documents, it's easiest to just keep all of these in sync.

For some larger documents, especially documents whose pages come
from multiple packages, it may be useful to keep these distinct.
Mallard provides three attributes for version numbers:

  version - the version of the page
  docversion - the version of the document
  pkgversion - the version of the package

When Pulse looks at revisions and status information, it checks
versions against the stable package version series.  This prevents
stale status information from being used.  When Mallard support is
added to Pulse, it will attempt to match pkgversion first, then
docversion, and finally version.

So if you want to give pages distinct version numbers for your own
tracking purposes, use either docversion or pkgversion.

--
Shaun