Re: Looking to get involved

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 10:33 -0600, Tom Martin wrote:
>  Hello All,
> My name is Thomas. I would like to become involved in helping the
> gnome-docs team, but I am unsure of where to start or what projects I
> can start sinking my teeth into.  I have several years of gnome and
> software development experience.  If any project need my help or
> documentation is need for certain areas I would be glad to assist.
> Thanks and have a great day

Hi Tom,

Thanks for being a part of our team.  A good first task would
be reviewing a small document to see if it's still current for
the upcoming 2.26 release.

I recommend reviewing the Character Map Manual.  You can check
out gucharmap from SVN with the following command:

svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gucharmap/trunk gucharmap

Review the manual against the latest development version of
gucharmap.  You can either build gucharmap directly from the
SVN checkout, or you can use a recent virtual machine image
of Gnome 2.25.

You're looking for inconsistencies between the manual and
the application.  Does the manual refer to things that are
no longer in the application?  Does the application have
features that are not documented?  If you feel adventurous,
think about what users might be trying to do with gucharmap,
and ask yourself if the manual provide guidance for those
tasks.

You can send your review to the list.  If you like, you can
edit the DocBook to reflect your review and send a patch.
In the articleinfo element, add this:

<releaseinfo revision="2.26" status="<status>"/>

Replace <status> with an actual status indicator.  Please
read the status tracking document for more information:

http://live.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/StatusTracking

You can, of course, do the same thing with another document
if there's another application you feel more comfortable
working with.  But I recommend starting with a small manual.
Note that, if a document already has status information for
2.26, doing such a review is probably duplicate effort.

Please let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Thanks,
Shaun