Re: documents

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 16:06 +0000, starfighter netzero com wrote:
> Sir,
> Your documentation is really bad.  As I understand, you have to have
> UBUNTU running to report a bug.  So, how does one do that?

I'm sorry you've had such problems.  You do not, in fact, need to
be running Ubuntu in order to report a bug against Gnome or its
documentation.  While Ubuntu uses Gnome as its default desktop
environment, Gnome is used by many other vendors, and is in no
way tied to Ubuntu.

To file a bug against Gnome, please use Gnome's Bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/

> When I start, I get a command prompt ($).  No where in all of this
> documentation does it tell me how to get from the command prompt to
> the desktop.  Believe it or not, that is not that intuitively obvious.

This is somewhat outside the scope of what we would provide
in user documentation.  Most distributions these days will
boot directly to a graphical login screen.  If your system
does not do so, either it's a problem with your distribution
which you should take up with them, or you've chosen to use
a distribution that assumes its users are very knowledgeable.

You can use the 'startx' command to start an X session from
the command line.  Whether this will load Gnome depends on
whether your distribution has set things up correctly for
Gnome.

--
Shaun