Re: Request for UI freeze break (Re: [Usability] Icons in panel menu bar)

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 10:41 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 26 août 2009, à 17:54 +0200, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
> > Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009 à 22:02 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When the panel was changed to kept some icons when the menu icons are
> > > hidden, all icons in the panel menu bar were kept. A new change just got
> > > committed to only keep icons for application menu items, place menu
> > > items and preference menu items. Or if you prefer, icons for categories,
> > > "Connect to server", "Search files", "Recent documents", "Help", "About
> > > GNOME", "Lock", "Log out", "Shut down" were removed.
> > >
> > > I'm not convinced by this change: some part probably makes sense, but
> > > something "feels" wrong to me. Maybe it's because I expect the panel
> > > menu bar to be a bit different.
> > >
> > > It could also be because by default, you get three menus (Applications /
> > > Places / System), and only Places has some icons (and quite a few of
> > > them) while the two others don't if you don't open a submenu. Maybe it
> > > kind of breaks a visual balance for me...
> > >
> > > So, yeah, I'd just like to get feedback to know if it's right or not, if
> > > it needs to be updated slightly, etc.
> >
> > Is there any plan to revert this (back to icons on submenus) ? Current
> > situation is really inconsistent and the mix between no icons and icons
> > is a nightmare, mainly in Applications menu.
>
> The only feedback I got about this is that we should revert the change
> for categories in the applications menu (and system menu, for the
> preferences). Some people would also like other icons to come back in
> the panel menu (and just the panel menus, because it's a special menu).
>
> Usability people: can you step up and tell us what is the right thing to
> do here? At the moment, my decision as maintainer is to put back the
> icons for categories in the applications menu.
>
> Documentation people: does going back to showing icons there break some
> documentation that was updated?

I'm not seeing any updates in gnome-user-docs.  I can't be certain
about other documents, but it seems unlikely that anything would be
showing screenshots of that.

If this change just makes things more like they used to be, then I
don't have any objections from the documentation side.

--
Shaun