Use of the IM word in Empathy

I was checking the new version of Empathy today and noticed a change
in the terminology used, in particular the use of "IM" instead of
"instant messaging|messenger".

The commit I'm referring is this one:

There has been some kind of discussion on the gnome-doc mailing list
some time ago, about the use of the "IM" term:

I don't know if it's possible to revert that change, but I think it
should be taken in consideration. FWIW, I personally prefer the "long"
version rather than the "short" one from an i18n point of view.

Whatever the outcome, I'm not so sure that an "IM" category exists.