Re: Documentation License

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 22:28 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Matthew East <mdke ubuntu com> wrote:
>
> <snip discussion of dual-licensing; I can't speak to whether or not
> docs will need to be completely rewritten or not>
>
> > For the future I'd also suggest that contributors automatically assign
> > copyright in the material they produce to the members of a specific
> > and identifiable gnome-doc group or the Gnome Foundation to enable
> > copyright transitions to be smoother.
>
> This is not a bad idea; that said at the moment the Foundation doesn't
> have much (read: any) infrastructure for this.

IANAL (but Luis almost is), but I don't think you can
"automatically" assign copyright.  Contributors would
have to sign something and send it in.

Requiring copyright assignment would put a choke hold
on new contributors.  Just suggesting it would make no
real difference, because the people who would bother
are most likely regular contributors, i.e. people we
don't have a hard time getting in touch with.

--
Shaun