Re: Improving things for translators

Le jeudi 13 mars 2008, à 13:56 +0100, Kenneth Nielsen a écrit :
> > One last item is that more and more teams are now able to translate the
> > documentation, but it's very hard since it's not frozen and can change
> > at the very last minute. Claude suggested on IRC that we add a new
> > documentation freeze for translators: the freeze would start the
> > week-end before the .0 release. This way the documentation can still be
> > updated during the last week before the release and translators have a
> > few days to update the translations. I think it'd make sense to lift the
> > freeze after the .0 release (so documentation can still be updated
> > between .0 and .1) and enforce it again the week-end before the .1
> > release, and so on.
> >
> > Any comment about this proposal?
> >
> > Vincent
> >
> Sound great. Maybe a bit more than one week would be nice. If we make it
> two weeks then we split the UI-string freeze period in two. Essentially
> giving developers 2 weeks (to update documentation) and translators 2 week
> to update them. Would that be acceptable to developers ?
> Regards Kenneth Nielsen

It won't work: the documentation is not written by developers, but by
the documentation team. And they need more time to update all the
documentation in GNOME. If we want to freeze the documentation, it can
only be for a very short time at the end of the cycle.

It's a complex issue, but to have good doc translations, we first need
to get good documentation. And thus we need to give a lot of time to the
documentation team.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.