Re: some string additions in GTK+

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 17:27 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >> There were also a couple of printer setting labels that were not
> >> marked for translation
> >> previously, and have been added now:
> >> Pages Per Sheet
> >
> > As a preposition with fewer than four characters,
> > shouldn't "per" be lowercase?
> >

> I had no idea the number of characters figures into this, but
> lowercasing it certainly makes sense to me.

See "Headings" here:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gdp-style-guide/stable/grammar.html.en

The most relevant point is this:

  All lowercase letters for conjunctions, articles, and
  prepositions of less than four letters

(I would add that you use lowercase letters for "to" when it's
used to form an infinitive, such as "to run").  The exceptions
to this rule are (a) prepositions used as part of a verb phrase,
such as the "up" in "back up"; and (b) the first and last word
of a string.  Anything else is capitalized.

(Note that we had a discussion a while back about changing our
title capitalization recommendations.  My recollection was that
some of us would like to change from "fewer than four characters"
to "four or fewer characters".  That would result in words like
"from" and "with" being in lowercase.)

--
The Annoyingly Pedantic Shaun