From: Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>
To: Adrian Custer <acuster gmail com>
Cc: Louis Luangkesorn <lluang yahoo com>; Gnome-doc-list <Gnome-doc-list gnome org>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 12:52:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Simulation Analysis in the User's guide - review needed]

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 10:57 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 17:14 +0200, Adrian Custer wrote:
> > >
> > > My official stance is that you should use whatever 4.x
> > > version you like, but you should always check how it
> > > looks in Yelp.  There are at least some 4.3 features
> > > that are implemented, but there are some old features
> > > that aren't.  So the DocBook version number doesn't
> > > mean much.
> >
> > Hey Shaun,
> >
> > I guess you are the list maintainer so you get to see my mails before
> > everyone else...
> >
> > My understanding was that we were bound to one 'official' version to
> > limit the damage we imposed on distributions-i.e. not forcing them to
> > ship each and every docbook dtd. Have we given up on that formally or
> > merely forgotten to worry about such things?
>
> More or less, yeah.  I've long been meaning to make Yelp
> able to do entity substitution without any DocBook DTDs
> laying around, but I haven't done it.  That's the only
> reason to have DTDs at run-time, since Yelp doesn't try
> to validate documents.

That said, if you are concerned about DTD availability,
we still have a lot of documents using 4.1.2, and there
are a few using 4.3.  I had some reason for converting
things to 4.3 a couple years ago, but I don't remember
what it was.  I don't remember us ever embracing 4.2.

Anything newer than 4.3 is unlikely to be supported by
Yelp at this time.

--
Shaun