Re: Docbook version

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 21:53 +0200, Milo Casagrande wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on two docs at the moment (brasero, I'm updating it, and
> empathy) and I need to use the 'class="extension"' attribute for
> <filename> tag.
>
> Right now it is suggested to use version 4.1.2 of Docbook DTD (at least
> in the templates) [1], but xmllint (obviously) complains with that
> attribute. Is it possibile to use a (little bit) more recent version
> like 4.2? Or even 4.5?
>
> Are there any contra-indications?

Ignore the 4.1.2 recommendation.  It's outdated.  There
are at least some 4.3 features implemented in the XSLT.
I haven't done any substantial updates since DocBook 4.3,
but generally new features degrade gracefull with older
processors.

Basically, use any 4.x version you like.  When in doubt,
double-check how Yelp renders your document to make sure
you like it.

--
Shaun